I’m sure that so far you’ve heard the phrase “walk your talk” many times. Or as Robin Sharma says “tune in your audio with your video.” Which means that, if you want to achieve something in life, you need to align your actions with what you say you need to do.
I see this mismatch with people all the time. From my personal training clients, to many other people I know. They constantly complain how they can’t lose weight, or have pain during certain movements which lasts for months and won’t go away, or they can’t go past lifting a certain weight, or be focus at work. Then, as I take them through series of questions and help them understand that what they want to achieve and what they actually do in practice is misaligned, they realize that if they want to achieve their desirable outcome, they need to align their words with their actions.
From my experience in life and personal training so far, misalignment of intent and action is one of the main reasons why people fail in their lifestyle transformation.
They say they want:
- to lose weight and be healthier;
- feel better and be more productive at work;
- be an example for their kids and other family members;
- to lower the risk of getting certain health condition or illness that runs in the family;
- be strong and confident in themselves;
- feel energized and be happy;
- settle down and start a family;
- do their dream job.
And yet they continue to:
- eat the same unhealthy food as always;
- skip the gym more often than not;
- don’t get enough sleep;
- surround themselves with people who drain their energy;
- don’t take time to take care of themselves;
- date people who are nowhere close to getting married and having kids;
- stay at their 9-5 job where they feel miserable, just because it’s convenient.
They keep on taking actions which are not aligned with the outcomes they desire.
I see this all the time with my personal training clients, friends and family too.
As a matter of fact, I used to be that person as well. I knew I wanted to feel more confident in myself, have higher self-esteem, be more energized and healthy. So, I thought that going at the gym will solve all of that. All I needed to do is workout, get toned and have the body shape that I wanted. The rest of it remained the same. I was still eating the typical american diet (eggs, oatmeal, toast and jelly, pancakes for breakfast; sandwich for lunch with fries or chips; rice, pizza or pasta with some protein for dinner; and of course some type of chocolaty snacks throughout the day), never took the time to take care of myself and my own needs, but was always prioritizing the needs of the people around me. Which oftentimes made me feel disappointed, discouraged, and unhappy.
After a few months of training I finally got the body I wanted. But, looking back now, that was all I achieved. I was still feeling tired most of the time, and my confidence and self-esteem didn’t seem to improve much. The reason for this was the mismatch between what I wanted to achieve and the actions I was taking on daily bases.
Then I got my awakening call. Out of nowhere my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. While it was the hardest period of my life, it was also the time which led me to my personal transformation. The knowledge I got from taking courses, and reading tons of books, articles, and studies, in the fields of nutrition, fitness and developing positive mindset, so that I can help my mom physically, emotionally and mentally overcome the disease, helped me gain the knowledge and become clear on what was it that I needed to do to improve my own health, so that I can avoid the same thing happening to me. By realizing that my actions were not aligned with my intentions, and understanding how the food I was eating, my training, my mindset and surroundings affect me physically, mentally and emotionally, I became more clear on the actions I needed to take so that I can feel more confident, energized and fulfilled, be more focused and productive at work, present and joyful when I spend time with friends and family.
My personal and professional experience over the past 5 years, has helped me identify the following 5 key steps which I follow myself and I successfully use with many of my personal training clients to help them align their actions and words, so that they can achieve their desirable outcomes. And today I’ll share them with you.
5 Key Steps to Align Your Audio with Your Video
- Identify your obstacles – There are many reasons people fail to take the actions they say they should. Among them are the lack of commitment; believing it is not possible for themselves; misalignment of their actions and values; bad habits influencing their behavior, etc. The solution to all this is realizing what is stopping you from getting the results you want. Think about the things which preventing you to achieve your goal.
- Get clear on your goal – If you are not clear on what it is that you want to achieve, then you won’t be able to know which actions you need to take to accomplish it. You need to get very specific on the outcome that you desire. That will help you identify all the steps that you need to take to accomplish it. (If you want to learn how to set your goals click here)
- Create your strategy – The chances of having the temptation to get back to your old behavior are big, especially if you experience some setback, or don’t see the results you want quickly after you start taking action. That’s why it is important to create a strategy which will help you to remain on track, no matter what happens. Outline all the potential obstacles form step 1, which might tempt you to get back to your old behavior, and write down what you will do to overcome those situations and stay motivated to continue taking action.
- Commit to taking one small action at time – Creating the lifestyle that you want requires developing healthy habits which will help you achieve your desired outcome. To do so, focus on taking small actions steps every day. At the beginning it might seem like you are not doing anything. But on the long run it will have huge impact. Also, stay away of trying to change everything at once. It will make you feel overwhelmed. Just isolate the one thing that needs to happen right now, which will get you closer to the results you want to achieve and focus on mastering that behavior. Once it becomes second nature, then you can proceed to the next one.
- Stay consistent – In today’s society, where people rely on instant gratification, it’s very easy to become frustrated and disappointed if we don’t see any results immediately. Be patient with yourself and stay consistent with your actions. This will help you develop the necessary habits and daily routines, so that you can accomplish your desired outcomes.
These 5 steps don’t only apply for lifestyle transformation, but to anything that you want to achieve in life. Whether it’s something personal or professional.
I also teach them in more depth in my online lifestyle transformation course, where I share different tools and strategies which will help you understand yourself better and learn how to make educated decisions, so that you can create the lifestyle you desire.
The only way to make long lasting lifestyle changes is by knowing what works for you. Even though we all are headed in the same direction in creating healthy lifestyle, we all function differently. What works for me, might not benefit you. And vice versa.
This course will give you all the information, tools, and strategies which will help you identify what’s stopping you from living the lifestyle you desire. It will also help you learn what is it that you need to do transform your lifestyle.
Since it’s a live taught course, you’ll get my personal support, as well as the support from a community of other women just like you, who are overcoming similar challenges and working on their lifestyle transformation.
To learn more about the course, and how it can help you transform your lifestyle, click on the link here, to schedule your 10 minute free consultation with me.